Re: Problem with xHCI; mass storage device not detected

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Sarah Sharp
<sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 02:24:40AM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Sarah Sharp
>> <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > So you are trying to connect a USB 3.0 mass storage device directly into
>> > the roothub, and Windows is complaining that it's not running at USB 3.0
>> > speeds.  That might mean the host controller just can't link train with
>> > the USB 3.0 device.  Can you look at the device manager in Windows and
>> > see what speed it says the device is running at?
>>
>> Yeah. I cannot see the speed, but I tried copying a file, and it
>> didn't go faster than 30Mbps.
>
> It's probably running as a USB 2.0 device then.

Indeed.

>> In fact, I noticed issues in Windows as well. I had to plug and unplug
>> the device in multiple ports, eventually it worked.
>
> Is it just your USB 3.0 device that you had to plug and unplug, or other
> devices as well?

Just this one. USB 2 mass storage devices seem to work fine.

>> I tried the same in Linux and after I few tries I got it to show in
>> lsusb, but that's it. I'm attaching the log.

>> > Are these other mass storage devices also USB 3.0?  Or are you getting
>> > the "please connect to a USB 3.0 port" message with true USB 2.0 mass
>> > storage devices?
>>
>> No, these are USB 2.0, and I get no messages.
>>
>> I wonder if this is related to the fact that I connected the PCIe x1
>> card into a PCIe x16 slot. AFAIK that's supposed to work.
>
> No, that should be fine.  I think your host controller or USB 3.0 device
> is just broken.  Did the packaging for host and device have the official
> SuperSpeed logo, like in this PDF:
>
> http://www.usb.org/channel/About_SSUSB_2011.pdf

Not the controller, I don't have the packaging of the device, but I
believe it had it.

> If not, it's probably not certified by the USB-IF, which means it hasn't
> passed the electrical tests.  My money would be on your USB 3.0 device
> being broken, despite the odd USB 2.0 port count in the Extended
> Capabilities of your host controller.
>
> Does the USB 3.0 device work when you plug it into an EHCI port?  Your
> log showed it getting reset over and over again, so I wonder if it works
> at high speed at all.

Yes, in USB 2 it works perfectly fine. I recall it also worked fine in
a laptop that had USB 3 ports, but I'm not sure.

I'm contacting the support for the U34P card. Also, I will try to
update the firmware of the USB 3 device.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras