Re: Problem with xHCI; mass storage device not detected

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 02:24:40AM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Sarah Sharp
> <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 03:45:23PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> > So you are trying to connect a USB 3.0 mass storage device directly into
> > the roothub, and Windows is complaining that it's not running at USB 3.0
> > speeds.  That might mean the host controller just can't link train with
> > the USB 3.0 device.  Can you look at the device manager in Windows and
> > see what speed it says the device is running at?
>
> Yeah. I cannot see the speed, but I tried copying a file, and it
> didn't go faster than 30Mbps.

It's probably running as a USB 2.0 device then.

> In fact, I noticed issues in Windows as well. I had to plug and unplug
> the device in multiple ports, eventually it worked.

Is it just your USB 3.0 device that you had to plug and unplug, or other
devices as well?

> I tried the same in Linux and after I few tries I got it to show in
> lsusb, but that's it. I'm attaching the log.
>
> >> Oh, and the same seems to happen with other mass storage devices.
> >
> > Are these other mass storage devices also USB 3.0?  Or are you getting
> > the "please connect to a USB 3.0 port" message with true USB 2.0 mass
> > storage devices?
>
> No, these are USB 2.0, and I get no messages.
>
> I wonder if this is related to the fact that I connected the PCIe x1
> card into a PCIe x16 slot. AFAIK that's supposed to work.

No, that should be fine.  I think your host controller or USB 3.0 device
is just broken.  Did the packaging for host and device have the official
SuperSpeed logo, like in this PDF:

http://www.usb.org/channel/About_SSUSB_2011.pdf

If not, it's probably not certified by the USB-IF, which means it hasn't
passed the electrical tests.  My money would be on your USB 3.0 device
being broken, despite the odd USB 2.0 port count in the Extended
Capabilities of your host controller.

Does the USB 3.0 device work when you plug it into an EHCI port?  Your
log showed it getting reset over and over again, so I wonder if it works
at high speed at all.

Sarah Sharp