HID device question.

OK, got the last project completed, moved on to the next one. This time, I've written NO code, so I'm free to take any suggestions.

EASY (I hope), question. I have a device that when plugged in is treated as an HID device. Is the HID driver the "driver of last resort"? Meaning if I register to get loaded for this device will I get control, or will I have to unlatch HID from it in order to get the events for myself? (Or is it a case of registering WITH the HID driver to get notifications?)