Re: device emulator?

All valid points Greg. This started out as a simple project, that turned into a science project. I've gotten all the tough parts basically done, just trying to put a bow on it.

My mistake was a stupid one that Alan pointed out, and I'm moving along now. I hope to not have to bother you guys again.

Now, for the record, I didn't blatantly ignore your advice, I looked into the gadgetFS stuff, and with the % of the project that I already had done and working, it seemed like not 2 steps back, but a complete scrapping of the project, and starting over. And, with time being tight as it is (such that I'm working on a Saturday to try to get it done), that was a leap I didn't think I could really make. Now, as for why you would continue to answer questions? If for no other reason than to have a nice e-mail trail for the future to show the NEXT person with this idea that it's wrong, and that they should use gadgetfs. ;-)

From: "Greg KH" <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:01 PM
To: "Chris Furlough" <chrisfurlough@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: device emulator?

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:49:12AM -0700, Chris Furlough wrote:
Greg, please take this at face value, and tell me if you know what
the problem is here.

Um, first off you seem to be ignoring everything we have told you in the
past, so why would we continue to help out here?

* I'm calling fs_create_file to register my node under my parent
directory. (I get the address from kallsyms, and call it
directly).[1]

That's a VERY big warning that you are doing something totally wrong and
not correct.  Because of that, there's not much I can do to help you out
here.  Hint, NEVER dig through the symbol table and try to call things
that are not exported, they are not exported for valid reasons.

I really think you are totally on your own here as you have not taken
any of our advice previously, sorry.

Oh, and I still feel you are doing this totally wrong and backwards, but
hey, what do I know... :)

good luck,

greg k-h