Re: device emulator?

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 05:21:12PM -0700, Chris Furlough wrote:
> Hello list.  I work for a company that makes some USB audio devices,
> and I've been tasked with developing a small driver-app that
> registers with the USBFS, and receives reads/writes/ioctls as though
> I was the hardware device which will be produced by Christmas.

Wait, you want to emulate a USB device on the same host as the kernel is
running on in host mode, or to be a USB device and connect it to a host?

The differences are vast, it would be much easier to do the latter, as
we already have drivers in the kernel that do just that, look at the USB
gadget code.

> I initially thought that this was just another character mode
> device, and I would register it under /proc like any other device.
> The I discovered that USBFS was it's own thing, and that that
> wouldn't work.  So, I now have my device registering itself with
> USBFS, and it responds to reads and writes, but not ioctls.  I'm
> trying to make this test pass:

<snip>

No, you can't do this at all, usbfs is to control a USB device from a
userspace program, which I think it not what you really want to do,
right?

greg k-h