From: Xiaofan Chen [mailto:xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: May 2, 2011 11:24 PM
To: Marc St-Jean
Cc: linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Michal Nazarewicz
Subject: Re: State of g_ether/RNDIS?

2011/4/29 Marc St-Jean <Marc.St-Jean@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I got my hands on a WinCE 6.0 based device and the
> g_ether/RNDIS appears to run correctly with it.
>
> Trying to track down what is going on with Win XP SP3,
> I captured some kernel logs (left some "fsl_ep_enable" output in
> there in case it's of any help). In both cases, the target board
> was freshly booted, the usb0 device ifconfig'd and a DHCP
> server started.
>
> With WinCE there are fewer exchanges before "init rndis"
> and "rndis open" appear. That's followed by "rndis_set_param_dev:",
> "rndis req21.00 v0000 i0000 l24", "rndis_msg_parser:
> REMOTE_NDIS_INITIALIZE_MSG" and many others.
>
> With WinXP there is a longer exchange before "init rndis"
> and "rndis open" appear. Then "rndis_set_param_dev:",
> "rndis req21.00 v0000 i0000 l24" are followed
> by "g_ether gadget: suspend".
>
> It seems like WinXP doesn't like that "rndis req21.00 v0000 i0000 l24"
> and fails to reply so linux  g_ether/RNDIS times out 5 seconds later.
>
> Anyone familiar with RNDIS protocol have ideas of what may
> be happening here?

I know next to nothing of RNDIS and Gadget drivers, but Google found
this one. What if you use a full speed port on the Windows XP SP3
machine (eg: you can add a USB 1.1 hub in between the device and
the Windows host port).
http://kerneltrap.com/mailarchive/linux-usb/2008/11/16/4133254/thread

--
Xiaofan