Re: Using USB Generic Serial Converter with devices from different vendors

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:21:40AM +0100, Filip Aben wrote:
> If you're using a 2.6.36ish version, it's most likely the following in
> hso_serial_open:
>
>         /* sanity check */
>         if (serial == NULL || serial->magic != HSO_SERIAL_MAGIC) {
>                 WARN_ON(1);
>                 tty->driver_data = NULL;
>                 D1("Failed to open port");
>                 return -ENODEV;
>         }
>
> I suppose it's possible that the device is physically gone but the tty
> hasn't been closed or torn down yet. Does it leave your system in an
> unstable state ? Because it shouldn't.

It was working fine for a few hours. Then I had to reboot. If you
say that shouldn't break anything that's OK for me.

> Also, are you sure you're opening the correct port when the device
> reappears and not some stale tty ?

Yes, there is an udev rule that queries temporary device and
adds a symlink basing on modem's SN. Each app uses only those
symlinks.

> Thanks,
>
> Filip-

Many thanks to you for your help, and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Piotr