Re: Using USB Generic Serial Converter with devices from different vendors

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 21:33 +0100, Piotr Isajew wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 03:15:05PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Piotr Isajew wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like to get back to this. I've been testing hso with
> > > debugging turned on. From what I see, there are sometimes
> > > problems with result detaching devices from the bus. From
> > > application point of view, at the beginning there is an IO
> > > timeout, and then device disappears. Current tests show that
> > > device reattaches in a while, application can reopen it and
> > > continue it's job.
> >
> > Your log shows that you are getting lots of hardware communication
> > errors.  You should check the quality of your USB cables and
> > connectors.
> >
> That could be the point, but it's the system with several modems
> connected through 2 external USB hubs. Nobody touches it. After
> device reattaches, it works fine for several hours if not days
> (no XactErrs then). Before I started to use those hubs I worked
> with 3 other from different vendor and there have been similar
> symptoms. I would rather bet there is something wrong with Option
> modems in general, that makes them irresponsible to the OS under
> some circumstances. The question is: can this situation be
> handled without disconnecting the device (ie. by increasing
> number of retries)?

In case you have USB selective suspend enabled, can you disable it and
run your test again ? There have been some problems in the past with
devices causing Xact errors or detaching from the bus when coming out of
suspend.

Thanks,

Filip-