Re: artificial USB test environment, any help appreciated

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 07:23:49PM +0200, Axel C. Voigt wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I want to test the performance of a linux box (and the serial subsystem)
> that is connected to the internet with multiple (lets say 5 for this
> example) usb data sticks running at speed above 7.2MBs. I then end up with
> multiple ppp devices ppp0 to ppp4. My interest is whether this setup would
> be capable of e.g. downloading 5 different files from 5 different ip
> addresses (having set the routes properly to use the respective pppX device)
> at speeds around 50MBit/s?

Then just connect the devices with a "real" serial port running at that
speed to see if the serial subsystem can handle it.

And then note that we achieve faster than those rates with the
usb-storage subsystem, so the usb core must be able to handle it.

Then there's the usb-serial driver, and that might need to be tweaked to
have a bigger queue of urbs if you really do have a network that fast to
get it to keep all data in flight at the time with no pauses.

But as you really don't have a device that can go that fast, why need to
test any of this? :)

thanks,

greg k-h