artificial USB test environment, any help appreciated

Hello list,

I am let alone with creating a linux process or kernel module that creates a
virtual tty interface on one side and connects directly to the
usbserial/ttyACM module (as if it were a usb serial device such as a modem)
on the other end to be able to test the serial performance of a linux host.

When achieved, I am planning to start a pppd on both sides to create a
tcp-over-serial connection to transfer data such as an ftp up/download as if
I were connected to the internet with a UMTS mobile phone or UMTS usb stick.
This could then be evolved to have multiple "virtual" UMTS sticks connected
to one linux host to generate load at the linux usb serial layer and is
necessary since I want to be able to ensure that the new speed classes of
serial devices such as HSDPA usb sticks (3.6 or 7.2MBit/s) or even DC-HSPA
(> 50MBit/s) will work flawlessly even when you connect multiple sticks to
one host.

In the real world this setup will be difficult/impossible as one will rarely
be able to find a mobile cell that supports >7,2MBit HSDPA (at least in my
nearby area :-) as well as the data rate will significantly drop when you
have more than one mobile in a mobile network cell!

Could one give me a hint, how to create a test environment to artificially
test such a scenario? Could one be of any help whether I can simulate a usb
device in software?

Thanks for your support,

Axel