Re: artificial USB test environment, any help appreciated

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Axel C. Voigt <avau@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am let alone with creating a linux process or kernel module that creates a
> virtual tty interface on one side and connects directly to the
> usbserial/ttyACM module (as if it were a usb serial device such as a modem)
> on the other end to be able to test the serial performance of a linux host.
>
> When achieved, I am planning to start a pppd on both sides to create a
> tcp-over-serial connection to transfer data such as an ftp up/download as if
> I were connected to the internet with a UMTS mobile phone or UMTS usb stick.
> This could then be evolved to have multiple "virtual" UMTS sticks connected
> to one linux host to generate load at the linux usb serial layer and is
> necessary since I want to be able to ensure that the new speed classes of
> serial devices such as HSDPA usb sticks (3.6 or 7.2MBit/s) or even DC-HSPA
> (> 50MBit/s) will work flawlessly even when you connect multiple sticks to
> one host.
>
> In the real world this setup will be difficult/impossible as one will rarely
> be able to find a mobile cell that supports >7,2MBit HSDPA (at least in my
> nearby area :-) as well as the data rate will significantly drop when you
> have more than one mobile in a mobile network cell!
>
> Could one give me a hint, how to create a test environment to artificially
> test such a scenario? Could one be of any help whether I can simulate a usb
> device in software?

(Resending, as I accidentally knocked off the list last time around)

How about using g_serial with dummy_hcd? Maybe you can use the n_ports
parameter to add more interfaces.

(dummy_hcd gives you a virtual host and device controller pair, so you
can play with gadget drivers without needing actual gadget controller
hardware. g_serial can behave like a CDC ACM device).

It won't be the same as having multiple different modems connected at
one time, but you will be able to have multiple serial port sessions
running.

- Anand