RE: FW: Staging usb_gadget_register driver, 2.6.35

David Cross wrote:

> > > Is this behavior by design or accident?
>
> > Design.  The USB specs only allow one upstream
> > port, meaning one USB peripheral controller in
> > any USB-certified device.
>
> > So why would we bother trying to support two, if
> > that's contrary to the standards we follow??
>
> The USB spec allows one upstream facing port, but that does not necessarily
> mean one USB peripheral controller per device. There are many mobile devices
> on the marketing that have two physical controllers connected to the same
> upstream port through a USB switch. These devices are USB certified, so by
> definition of the certification this implementation is not contrary to the
> standards we follow.

Also, as another example, you could have two physical USB peripheral
controllers on an SoC, with one of them meant for inter-chip
connections with a host on the same PCB, and the other meant to be
exposed to the outside world as the upstream facing port.

- Anand