Re: type-c subsystem is empty on Thinkpad T14 Gen 4 AMD

Hello, Mark!

пн, 18 мар. 2024 г. в 20:42, Mark Pearson <mpearson@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2024, at 3:22 PM, Yaroslav Isakov wrote:
> > Hello, Mark!
> >
> > пн, 18 мар. 2024 г. в 19:48, Mark Pearson <mpearson@xxxxxxxxx>:

> >> Just to confirm that I've tested a trial BIOS from the FW team and it fixes the issue (shows up under /sys/class/typec
> > Great to hear, thank you!
> >
> >> If there's anything in particular you'd like me to confirm let me know.
> >
> > If /sys/class/typec is populated, I think it should be enough... Just
> > to double check, is /sys/class/usb_power_delivery populated, too, now?
>
> Yes. From my system:
>
> # ls /sys/class/typec
> port0  port0-partner  port1
> # ls /sys/class/usb_power_delivery
> pd0  pd1  pd2

Great! These are the ones I saw with my workaround, too.

> > I also did not manage to see anything in /sys/class/usb_role or
> > /sys/class/typec_mux, even with my hack - is it expected on AMD,
> > because of lack of appropriate mux/role switch drivers?
>
> I'm not seeing anything under those with this BIOS either
>
> I checked on an Intel platform on my desk (P14s G3) and those aren't populated there either...so not sure this is AMD specific.
> I'm being lazy and not looking at the kernel code - what would we expect to see in those entries?

According to https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-usb_role,
with /sys/class/usb_role, we can switch between host and device modes.
My main interest there is typec_displayport driver - to be able to see
altmode info (not sure, though, in which /sys directory). With my
workaround, I failed to see this driver detecting my dock, so, I was
wondering, if it's caused by wrong UCSI version reported, or some
other driver missing (DP altmode is working with the doc, just no info
from typec_displayport driver)

BTW, what is the version of ucsi reported from firmware? I wonder, if
it will work with this change
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-usb/20240209223824.622869-1-abhishekpandit@xxxxxxxxxxxx/