Re: type-c subsystem is empty on Thinkpad T14 Gen 4 AMD

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024, at 9:30 AM, Mark Pearson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023, at 5:02 AM, Heikki Krogerus wrote:

>>> It returns -ENODEV, which, I guess, is a signal for code, which
>>> detects devices, that this module doesn't support this device.
>>>
>>> P.S. Looks like power_delivery code works properly, even with
>>> version==0 - lsucpd shows proper directions, even with my Pixel 7,
>>> which can charge laptop. Also it shows correct data for
>>> voltage/current, for "partner" device. It also shows proper data in
>>> power_supply subsystem. The only thing which is not working,
>>> currently, is displayport altmode not showing, for dockstation I
>>> have... But this might be missing module, or something else... I'll
>>> try this on Intel laptop, and will debug it further.

>>> I tried to add loop, re-reading version in case if it's zero, but,
>>> even after 10 tries, it's returning zero, so, it's some weird behavior
>>> of UCSI on this AMD laptop. I wonder, what should be the proper fix,
>>> then.
>>
>> You need to report this to Lenovo. This is an issue in their firmware.
>>
>> We can work around this by adding DMI quirk where we hardcode the UCSI
>> version for your system, but before we do that, you should try to get
>> Lenovo to fix their firmware.
>>
> I got forwarded this report from the support team. Was able to
> reproduce this on my system.
> I have internal ticket LO-2879 open and we'll look into it.

Just to confirm that I've tested a trial BIOS from the FW team and it fixes the issue (shows up under /sys/class/typec
If there's anything in particular you'd like me to confirm let me know.

I've asked the FW team for confirmation when the fix will be released. Expect it to take a while as the test/release process can take some time

Mark