Re: usbutils source tree [was Re: [patch 0/7] Add usb root debugfs...]

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a patch in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/usbutils/+bug/159189
> But I think it is better just to remove it.
>
>> I just looked at the new libusb and it seems it already parses the
>> "descriptors" file. If that works out, and is useful, the first thing
>> would be to convert to the new lib, I guess, and start from there.
>>

> Great idea. ;-) Actually I proposed this earlier but I do not know much
> about programming. ;-(
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A--linux-usb-devel--libusb-silently-ignores-permission-errors-td23094681.html
> http://www.nabble.com/usbview-to-be-removed-from-Ubuntu-or-maybe-Debian--td23107766.html

One more suggestion, currently lsusb dees not dump HID report
descriptor properly since it does not detach all the kernel HID
drivers. Many of the "lsusb -vvv" reports shows the same problem
with something like this "Report Descriptors:  ** UNAVAILABLE **".

I've the same problem last time.
http://www.nabble.com/How-to-dump-HID-report-descriptor-under-Linux-td19609562.html
Alan Stern suggests that we can manually unbind the HID interface
and then the report descriptor can be properly dumped. Maybe
the new usbutils can be updated to  support this by
detach and then re-attach the kernel driver.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com