Re: XHCI, "brain-dead scanner", and microframe rounding

On Jan 22, 2015, at 7:23 AM, Mathias Nyman wrote:

>> I was doing this on your ep_reset_halt_test branch, which has a lot of
>> MATTU messages scrolling by, but I'm pretty sure that the microframe
>> rounding message was not present when running with either of these
>> changes. So that may be a red herring after all...
>>

> I wrote a new hack to test, its in the ep_reset_halt_test branch (forced update).
>
> It re-configures the endpoint every time a usb device driver clears a halt to
> make the toggle and sequence stay in sync between xhci and the device.
>
> I'm coding in the dark here, the scanner I test on has always worked so I need your
> help in testing this.
>
> Code is in the same place, the ep_reset_halt_test branch:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mnyman/xhci.git ep_reset_halt_test
>
> A dmesg log with xhci debugging of a failing case with this hack would be appreciated
> echo -n 'module xhci_hcd =p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
>
> (Unless, ofcourse I blindly got it right at the first try and everthing works flawlessly:)

... which appears to have been the case, actually. I love it when code works the first time. :)
Here's the dmesg log in case there's anything you need to know in there:
http://spark.crystalorb.net/mikem/dmesg.log
I plug in the scanner at about 425 seconds, and start the scan around 477.

This is awesome! I'm not familiar with how long this sort of fix usually takes to show up in official kernels; when might that happen? I'd be interested to try and get it picked up by distribution kernel packages (if the patch applies cleanly) so I can start using them again.

Thanks so much for working on this!

Mike--