Re: USB-UART device from Exar Co. not working with cdc_acm but usbserial

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 10:37:39AM -0500, Sergio De León wrote:
> On 09/03/2014 03:43 AM, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 03:43:52PM -0500, Sergio De León wrote:

> >> Here are the debug logs you asked me
> >>
> >> * dmesg output while connecting the device without dynamic debug
> >> * dmesg output while connecting the device with dynamic debug
> >> * .../dynamic_debug/control active rules for cdc_acm
> >> * dmesg output with dyndbg while opening the port, writting to the port
> >> and closing the port.
> >
> > I don't see anything obviously wrong in these logs.
> >
> > Perhaps the device simply isn't cdc-compliant (some bits of the vendor
> > driver certainly indicates that) despite what the vendor claims.
> >
> > Are you using the vendor driver or a generic cdc-acm driver on Windows?
> >
> > I don't have time to look into this in a few days, but would you be able
> > to test patches that I send you? Possibly some diagnostic patches to
> > determine if cdc-acm can be used, and if not, a dedicated usb serial
> > driver?
> >
> > If so, you could compile your own mainline (or stable 3.16) kernel in
> > the mean time so you have something to test the patches with.
>
> Oh thanks for the clarification about top-posting (actually I didn't see
> the message the first time).
>
> I'm using the vendor driver on WinXP I'll test later the generic driver
> of Win7 later (and if it has the WinXP). The vendor driver for linux
> Vizzini (1) seems that it's quite buggy and some developers have already
> given up trying to fix it (2) though there's people trying to patch it
> (3) (I haven't tried this one, I've just found it).

Did the generic Windows cdc-acm driver work?

> Ok, I'll install the latest mainline (no RC) 3.16.1-031601-generic from
> kernel.ubuntu.com. Then download the source to have some code to work
> with and apply the patches.

Have you got a stable kernel you built yourself up an running (you
should be using a version from kernel.org not an ubuntu one)?

What have you got connected to the serial-port hub? Could you prepare a
minimal test setup where you connect the hub-port to a serial or
usb-serial port?

Try setting that up with a minicom session I both ends. Disable flow
control and make sure the port settings match.

Does anything get through? If not, try enabling DEBUG and VERBOSE_DEBUG
by defining them in the cdc-acm driver and submit the log from when
opening, writing and reading.

Thanks,
Johan