Re: USB-UART device from Exar Co. not working with cdc_acm but usbserial

[ Please avoid top posting. ]

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 09:29:49AM -0500, Sergio De León wrote:
> Sorry for my late reply,
>
> I still haven't tried the debug mode for cdc-acm since I still have to
> figure out the "proper way" to get and compile the source on Linux Mint
> (it seems some documentation is old... but mostly I've been a little
> busy to dig deeper).

That might not be necessary if your kernel is compiled with dynamic
debugging support:

	zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG

> About the hardware flow control, I remember tried every combination of
> flow control and line endings (because the receiving end might only
> accept one kind of line break) with minicom, but I'll try again.

Note also that settings such as baud rate and stop bits would only have
an effect with the cdc-acm driver, whereas the generic usb-serial driver
has no way of configuring these and hence the defaults would be used.

> I had some suspicions about what could be the problem with this device
> since it's a 8 gsm modem pool interfaced with these chips and just one
> usb port (Host -> integraded HUB -> XR21V1414) but after test it on
> WinXP with putty and using the same settings on linux putty, I thought
> that it might be a problem with the driver. That moment I went to
> investigate the alternatives of cdc-acm and read about usbserial as
> testing platform and the drivers included with.
>
> I'm sorry if I take a while to get the logs you asked me, I hope to have
> them around the weekend.

Good luck,
Johan