Re: USB-UART device from Exar Co. not working with cdc_acm but usbserial

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 04:15:25PM +0200, Johan Hovold wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 12:53:12PM -0500, Sergio De León wrote:
> > Hi, I've been trying to get this device work in linux Mint Qiana
> > (3.13.0-24-generic) without success.
> >
> > The XR21V1414 is a multiport USB-UART device. (0x04e2:0x1414)
> > (The driver provided "Vizzini" causes system crash due a improper
> > initialization of tty_port)
> > http://www.exar.com/common/content/default.aspx?id=10296
> >
> > The cdc_acm driver creates the proper ttyACMx but there's no
> > communication with the device.
>
> What does the kernel log say when you plug the device in with the
> cdc-acm driver loaded?
>
> An what happens if you enable debugging for the driver and write
> something to the device?
>
> The manufacturer seems to claim compliance with CDC (although some
> extra features would be missing) so the cdc-acm driver should work.

By the way, have you made sure this is not simply a flow control issue?
Depending on your configuration you may have hardware flow control
enabled with cdc-acm, but that wouldn't be the case with the generic
usb-serial driver.

Johan