Re: A curiosity about multi-user systems?

Michał Zegan <webczat_200@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What? I mean it should work unless there is no longer pc speaker
> emulation wired to sound card like I have. You'd just enable that and
> pcspkr driver. Or what do you mean?

I don't think the PC speaker emulation is done everywhere.  Every laptop
I've ever used seems to have it, though.

I was doing some reading about this the other day, because I have a
machine on my desk that beeps at boot from the sound card, but has no PC
speaker beep once it is booted.  It's a little Intel NUC.  I'm pretty
sure it must have PC speaker emulation of some sort, because of the beep
at boot that it makes before the bootloader is loaded.  Apparently
sometimes this stuff has to be enabled from the BIOS.  I need to get
some sighted help to look at the BIOS on my NUC and see if that's my
problem.

PS.  Speaking of PC speakers, I found something really awesome the other
day.  The GRUB 2 bootloader can output in Morse code using the PC
speaker.  It is pretty useful as long as a system has one that is
working.  It sends very slowly, slower than 5 words per minute I think.
As far as I can tell by looking at the code, there's no way to change
the sending rate (yet).  I customized some of my GRUB messages to be one
or two letters, so that I could get feedback from GRUB about the boot
process without it being terribly slow.  I use a very custom and trimmed
down grub.cfg.

Anyway I take back every nasty thing I've ever said about GRUB2.

--
Chris Brannon
Founder: Blind and Low Vision Unix Users Group (https://blvuug.org/).