Re: A curiosity about multi-user systems?

W dniu 25.02.2021 o 10:06, Janina Sajka pisze:
> Kirk,
>
> I've wondered about this myself, so I'm glad you raised the question. I
> don't see a multi-user Linux system in my remaining days on this planet.
Note the issues raised apply for systems used by single user, too.
Like I have myself used accounts for friends using my laptop, I remember
they had a need to do this, around 7 years ago.

> It's certainly possible I'm wrong about that. However, if there is a
> multi-user system in my future, I would expect it to be a graphical
> desktop system. Not in my wildest do I see a multi-user console system.
>
> Meanwhile, the loss of the ability to play audio on the way to the login
> prompt is a nuisance, imo. I have two active Arch systems right now, one
> about 8 year old hardware, the other less than a year old. Both behave
> differently, yet the OS is the same, kept updated, with pretty much the
> same software installed. I work around this nuisance because login just
> doesn't play a large role in my life. With a new kernel loaded after
> system upgrade, I do indeed reboot and login. But, I then execute a
> script that uses openvt to launch my 22 additional consoles. The 24th
> console I login on as root directly, not via sudo -u.
>
> The biggest nuisance for me with the 2020 machine is the lack of support
> for beep on backspace. I'm mightily offended by that! <smile>
What? I mean it should work unless there is no longer pc speaker
emulation wired to sound card like I have. You'd just enable that and
pcspkr driver. Or what do you mean?