A curiosity about multi-user systems?

Hey folks: Whenever folks start to talk about permissions and using
things as individual users or system wide the notion of keeping them
valid for multi-users system are paramount. I wonder how many of you
actually user linux mechines as a multi-user box?

Back when I kept various Unix like machines for students and the
public in the eighties and nineties they were pretty well all used as
multi-user systems. Since linux became readily available over the
years I don't think I've ever seen one actually used as a multi-user
machine. I'm trying to figure out whether it is really important to
keep the availability present or if we might be crippling the
community by insisting on it?

The ongoing argument about whether pulse audio running in system mode
or individual mode is a perfect example of what I'm wondering
about. I'm sure there many other examples that could be dragged
up. Your opinions would be interesting to hear.

  Kirk