Re: the push to get rid of CONFIG_VT in the kernel and the future of Speakup

John G. Heim writes:
> I've never seen a server without a serial port.

And, I would wager none of us ever will, not in our lifetimes.

PS: You can also expect serial headers on commodity network devices like
home routers. That's how OpenWRT fuels itself.

Let's not forget that OpenWRT and its cousins will also need console
access. That community isn't going to give up early access tothe
hardware they're developing on. That's their bread and butter. And,
Linux isn't going to let go of its dominance in that market space.

Janina

> On 10/08/14 14:43, Kyle wrote:
> >It does appear to me that something like this will force more of Speakup
> >into userspace. However, unlike others, I'm not entirely opposed to the
> >idea of Speakup leaving the kernel, and I think it can only be a good
> >thing, especially on newer machines, where dedicated serial ports are
> >all but obsolete, and software in userspace can take better advantage of
> >things like Pulseaudio and libusb, meaning more extensive software and
> >hardware speech support. For example, there would no longer be a need
> >for kernel modules to control speech synthesizers, and there would no
> >longer be a need to have external userspace connectors such as Espeakup,
> >as the entire Speakup screen reader could be moved into userspace, and
> >anything that interfaces with a speech synthesizer could be either
> >internal or could be a library that interfaces with a speech API like
> >speech-dispatcher or others. Even better, if Speakup is moved entirely
> >into userspace, it could give rise to far better access to consoles on
> >*BSD and other Unix operating systems, as the code could be far more
> >portable between operating systems when it doesn't have to be tied into
> >a specific kernel. Just my $0.02 BSD. That's Bahamian dollars lol.
> >~Kyle
> >http://kyle.tk/

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx