Re: I Need a Rescue Disk but it's not an Emergency.

=?utf-8?B?w5h5dmluZCBMb2Rl?= writes:
> Speakup is still available on the full GRML ISOs but it does not load
> automatically.
> GRML will beep when at the command line.
> From here you need to load speakup and eSpeakup manually:
>
> # modprobe speakup_soft
> # espeakup
>
> This is for software speech.
>
> But personally I now prefer the Talking Arch rescure disk.
> http://talkingarch.tk

Thank you. It works great. Now if I could just get the drive to
actually boot. I took the old drive and did a dd if=old_drive
of=new_drive to get started and immediately ran in to trouble
due to the fact they are on the same IDE controller so I did the
dd command with the old good drive on the IDE controller and a
thumb drive plugged in to a USB port. That worked flawlessly so
I then put the new drive on the IDE controller and formatted it
with fdisk and mkfs. The new drive starts numbering sectors from
2048 instead of 63 but otherwise, that went like it should. I
then mounted the thumb drive with the old drive's image and used
rsync to copy all of it's files to the new drive including /dev
and I used the H parameter to make sure hard links get copied
and they appear to be there on the new drive.
	I finally used grub-install /dev/sda off the rescue disk
both with and without the --allow-floppy option and both times,
it reported no-errors.
	So far, though, no boot from the new drive. I've tried
the jumper on the IDE/SATA converter for the flash drive in both
the master and slave positions and I also have another P.C. with
a similar but working setup and I use that as a go-by so I think
the problem is software-related.
	That archlinux CD, however, is a great rescue disk. The
machine I was using to do all this on has two sound cards and
one first gets a recording of a human voice explaining that
multiple sound cards exist and that a tone will be played out of
each sound card and you are to hit Enter when you hear it to get
speakup out of that card. It so happens that both cards work.
	Is there any utility that one can run or any way to run
one of the well-known utilities that looks at your boot setup
and tells you how likely it is to work or why it won't work? I
think I am missing something, probably very obvious but the
hardware appears to be doing what it should.
	Again, thanks for the recommendation on the archlinux
CD. that's definitely a keeper.
Martin McCormick