Re: I Need a Rescue Disk but it's not an Emergency.

"Martin G. McCormick" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It so happens that both cards work.
> 	Is there any utility that one can run or any way to run
> one of the well-known utilities that looks at your boot setup
> and tells you how likely it is to work or why it won't work?

Not really.  Here's the problem.  A lot of newer boards come with an
HDMI audio output.  It's a good bet that this won't be a usable audio
device.  Also, some folks have USB audio devices that really shouldn't
be used for Speakup output.  This actually happened to me once.  I had a
USB-based FM transmitter plugged in, so that I could broadcast music to
the radios in my house.  It was selected as the default sound device at
boot, and I was confused as to why I wasn't hearing my software speech.
So the real problem is that the kernel's ordering of sound devices isn't
always predictable.  The device that is chosen as card 0 may or may not
be your onboard audio device.  So the solution chosen for the Talking
Arch disk was to allow the user to select the default device at boot, by
means of guided audio prompts.

As an aside, we also have this problem when booting from hard disk.
When you boot from HD and you have multiple audio devices, it's quite
possible that espeakup could use the wrong one.  That's fixable in
/etc/asound.conf.  I also think there may be an espeak config file for
setting the sound device used by espeak, but don't quote me on it.

Sorry for rambling.  TLDR; sound card naming and default card selection
are unpredictable, Talking Arch lets you pick a default.

-- Chris