Re: I Need a Rescue Disk but it's not an Emergency.

Yes, you can use rescue mode on the netinst iso with speakup. I
remember doing it, but did it seldom enough that I can't recall
exactly how. From what I recall (and I don't have time now to verify
this) the first option is the graphical installer. If not, then arrow
down I believe once. I was able to figure out the menu order by
reading the menu description in the install guide for the x64 arch,
and by looking at the boot loader files on the cd. Anyway, you want to
select the graphical installer. Once you do that, hit tab, space, and
type something like:

text rescue/enabled=true

You'll have to look this up in the debian install guide. There is an
appendix there describing rescue mode, and another section describing
the kernel/debian parms available at the boot prompt. It starts out
by asking you some basic questions as if you were doing an initial
install. Then, it tells you it's entering rescue mode, and offers you
some options on exactly what you want to do.

The rescue mode in the netinst iso is ok, but I prefer grml. You are
pretty much limited to busybox on the netinst from what I recall, and
all that implies.

if you still have trouble figuring all this out, and really want to
use netinst rescue mode, I can play with it, and give you a
step-by-step. I have other things on my plate now, so won't be able to
get to it until at least a week from now, perhaps not even until early
October. Good luck.

Greg

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 09:26:54PM -0500, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> 	I have copied the file system from an almost 20-year-old
> conventional drive to a new flash drive with rsync and need to
> build an MBR for that new disk. The safest way to do this is
> from a rescue disk. The system running the rescue talks just
> fine with the wheezy net-installer disk which brings me to my 2
> questions:
> 	Is there any kind of rescue shell on the netinstall
> disk?
> 	Also, I type the s to boot the installer disk with
> speakup. What is the way to boot in to rescue mode and also have
> speakup?
> 	Thanks.
>
> Martin McCormick WB5AGZ
> Stillwater, OK