Re: OT: I lost my dictionary

Hi Kyle,
On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, Kyle wrote:

> LOL you're not the only blind guy in America without a Victor Stream. I
> also don't have one, and don't even feel the need, nor have the money to
> purchase something like that <smile>. In fact, I don't have a lot of the
> things that They, you kno, the They with a capital T, think we should
> have lol. No Victor, none a dem crapple apples, no specialized or
> temporarily marked up appliances, and certainly none a dat windblows and
> shark biting a CD crap. Believe it or not, My family has gone almost
> completely Linux and Linux related. Linux computers, Android phones,
> Chromebooks and Sansa players running Rockbox, all of which are working
> nicely. Yeah, it would be nice to get direct NLS downloads and to be
> able to play them on our Android phones, but They, again that's the They
> with a capital T, don't think we should have something nice like that,
The issue of NLS books is complicated by the copyright problem. As I
understand it, publishers have agreed to extending blanket permission to
waive copyright restrictions for the reproduction of books in an
accessible format for the blind and physically handicapped, providing
the special format cannot be played on standard devices by the general
public.

> so They aren't developing it for anyone other than those who do what
> They say and get a crapple apple or a piece of specialized blindy tech.
> I also thought it would be a good idea to develop a drop-in Rockbox
> plugin that could be downloaded from the BARD website, so that we could
> use off-the-shelf Sansa players to play books, but again, They with a
> capital T don't think we should be using such things I guess. But then
> again, I've always been one to buck the system, fight the power and use
> mostly off-the-shelf products wherever possible, and adapt them using
> free and open source technology if they don't already have it.
> ~Kyle
> http://kyle.tk/
> --
> "Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"
> Out of This World, season 2 episode 21 - "The Amazing Evie"

 Chuck in Ghent, northeast of Hudson on the Hudson.