Re: Sparse documentation format, rST vs MD

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 21:56:12 -0700
Josh Triplett <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure
> why the kernel picked reStructuredText, but I don't think there's likely
> to be a huge amount of cross-pollination between the two in terms of
> documentation.

To address the "why the kernel picked RST" question, in case anybody's
curious...

We looked hard at MD, AsciiDoc, and RST; indeed, there were patches in
circulation for both MD and AsciiDoc before RST even entered the picture.
In the end RST won out because:

 - It allows the creation of large, integrated, multi-file documents.
   Every MD file is a world unto itself, and AsciiDoc is about the same.
   RST lets us put in nice things like global indexes and cross-references.

 - Some people want to do fancy tables.  It was argued that AsciiDoc is
   actually the best here; MD is not.

 - RST is actively developed and widely used.  AsciiDoc looks stale; MD is
   actively developed in a large number of mostly compatible variants.

 - Production of numerous output formats without the need for obnoxious
   toolchains.  This, alas, turned out not to be true for PDF output; if
   your docs are simpler, though, you might be able to use rst2pdf and
   avoid a lot of pain.

 - RST has a nice extension mechanism that makes it easy for us to add our
   own functionality.

...and probably something else I forgot.

(I'm not arguing that sparse should or should not use RST, BTW, just
answering Josh's implied question for the kernel).

jon