Re: Sparse documentation format, rST vs MD

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 09:28:58PM -0400, Christopher Li wrote:
> I want to use some mark down format for the document
> of sparse.
>
> There is two choice here:
>
> rST (reStructuredText)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText
>
> MD (Mark Down)
> https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet
>
> Does any one care which format to use?
>
> So far I am weak leaning towards MD but I can be convenience
> otherwise. Mostly because MD render on github is very nicely.
> I already use MD on other projects.
>
> Here is my run down of Pros and Cons
> rST Pros:
>
> -  Linux kernel already using rST for documents like
>    submiting-patches.rst. I need a file for sparse version of
>    submitting-patches.
>
> - might be more friendly to code syntax. But I am not going to use
>   those really deep extensions any way.
>
> rST Cons (for me):
> - I don't know rST at all. I need to learn it.
> - github does not recognized rST naturally.
>

> MarkDown Pros:
> - More friendly to web.
> - Github etc can render .md properly on display.
> - I already know how the syntax. No need to learn.
>
> MarkdDown Cons:
> - Kernel is using rST. I need to convert the format if I borrow
>   some file from the Linux Kernel.
>
> Feed back?

I personally find the Markdown format *much* closer to normal text
formatting in email, and I'd highly recommend using it.  I'm not sure
why the kernel picked reStructuredText, but I don't think there's likely
to be a huge amount of cross-pollination between the two in terms of
documentation.  In particular, you're unlikely to want to borrow files
from the kernel given the different license.