Re: Sparse documentation format, rST vs MD

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Luc Van Oostenryck
<luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Personally, I would stay with simple text files.
> But as long as it is very readable as a text file I don't really care.

Both are close enough to text file and some what readable
as the raw form. I think md is slightly easier to read in raw form
than rST but I might be biased because I know MD already.

> I often use the MediaWiki syntax when writing simple text because
> I'm so used to it (it's what I have used for the instruction's doc) but
> I would certainly not push for it.
>
> MD is very fine for me.
> The advantage that it's the format for github doesn't matter much
> though since sparse is not hosted on github.

I am thinking if we want to invite other developers. It is more
likely for them to host on github than kernel.org. We can also keep a
github mirror of sparse. I have one but I haven't update it for a while.

> The real question to me is: do you intent to render it?

Oh, I often do. I have makefile that render md as pdf and html.
It is easier to pass around that way for people only need to read
it.

I also use the chrome plugin to view MD directly as the render
result. Things like tables in MD can translate to html tables which is
very nice.

I assume rST can do html table and render as pdf/html as well.

Chris