Re: Odd behavior of a "SAS-2" backplane with SGPIO commands

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:07:45PM -0400, Rich wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 06:01:42PM +0200, Emmanuel Florac wrote:

> >> Only loosely related, but Supermicro replaced recently my 846E26 (dual
> >> expander backplane) with 846E16 (single expander). Apparently they
> >> gave up getting the E26 to work properly or something: LSI expander
> >> firmware problem.
> >>
> >> In another (very large scale, high end) setup, many different 60 slots
> >> 5 LSI expanders chassis had a general failure of the 5th drawer.
> >> Another LSI SAS-2 expander firmware problem.
> >>
> >> I could start a rant about the evil of proprietary firmware, etc. You
> >> get my meaning :)
> >>

> > Yeah, this is a good example why we're trying to get the LEDs working with
> > direct attach (non-expander) backplanes :)
> >
> > -- Pasi
> >

> I don't have anything useful for people, other than that they have
> shown me an HBA firmware that fixes the LED problem but has other
> problems they're still debugging.
>
> So there does exist code for this firmware which will fix this problem.

That's good to know! Let's hope the fix ends up in an official
LSI HBA firmware update in not-so-distant future.

> [I don't disagree on the evils of proprietary firmware, but this is
> the hand I've been dealt, so.]

Yeah, there's still the proprietary LSI HBA firmware, but at least using
direct-attach backplanes has one less :)

Thanks!

-- Pasi