Re: Odd behavior of a "SAS-2" backplane with SGPIO commands

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 03:50:00PM +0300, Harri Olin wrote:
> On 19.8.2012 13:25, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >>To be brief, the sas2ircu toolset works perfectly fine with IT mode
> >>HBAs - just not with passive backplanes AFAICS [e.g. the 846A, versus
> >>the 846EL2].
> >Ok. So with an expander backplane (846EL*) with SES, sas2ircu is able to control leds?
> >"LOCATE" command works? I haven't been able to try those commands with SES backplanes
> >because in these systems I've been trying to avoid expanders :)
>
> I think SGPIO control is disabled intentionally on LSI 9211-8i
> firmware, maybe others. When using expander, the expander controls
> LED's and SGPIO control lines from HBA are unused.

Yep. The good news is that Rich has been able to control the SM passive backplane
(with AMI MG9072 SGPIO chip) LEDs using SPGIO thru LSI SAS2008 HBAs from Linux,
using smp_utils tools. Those tools directly send SGPIO commands using mptctl/mpt2ctl interface.

The only problem Rich had is with 9211-8i HBAs.. 3 LEDs light up simultanously,
which sounds like a firmware/driver bug somewhere..

With SAS2308 based HBAs it works properly with the same Supermicro passive backplane,
and he has been able to control invidual LEDS thru SGPIO using smp_utils,
If I understood the earlier discussion correctly.

> The thing is, on 9211-8i and 9240 and probably others, multilane
> connectors are wired backwards so that if you connect a normal
> ipass-ipass cable, backplane slots will appear in backwards order to
> the system. Firmware knows this and slot numbers will appear to be
> correct when checking serial numbers etc from bios or with sas2ircu,
> but I suspect this is related to SGPIO not working.

Yeah, that's really annoying..

I wonder if option "phyPolarity" (mentioned here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-271922.html)
affects that ?

.. or the "Lane and polarity reversal" feature advertised for LSI SAS2308 based HBAs ?
http://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2308-raid-controller-hba-information-listing/

> You can get the SGPIO working (using sas2ircu) with
> Supermicro-supplied SAS2008 firmware from
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2008/IT/Firmware/ but as
> Supermicro SAS2008 HBA's (AOC-USAS2-L8i) use correct lane order on
> multilane connector, SGPIO-controlled LOCATE LED will point to wrong
> slot if not used with Supermicro card. Note that Supermicro
> backplanes will not light the LED if no HDD is in slot.

Yep..

> Tested mainly with Supermicro 846A backplane I think.
>
> I think I still have a support request open with LSI but haven't
> heart back for a long time about this issue..

Me too, they replied once asking what kind of SAS x4 cable I was using,
but no replies after that.. I've been pinging them quite a few times,
but it seems they've redirected me to /dev/null.

> Also I haven't yet tested the new SAS2308 based cards, great if
> finally fixed but I kind of doubt it before I see it :)

Hehe :)

Thanks,

-- Pasi