Re: Odd behavior of a "SAS-2" backplane with SGPIO commands

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 06:01:42PM +0200, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
>> Le Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:47:11 +0300
>> Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> écrivait:
>>
>> > Any replies from Supermicro/LSI ?
>> >

>> Only loosely related, but Supermicro replaced recently my 846E26 (dual
>> expander backplane) with 846E16 (single expander). Apparently they
>> gave up getting the E26 to work properly or something: LSI expander
>> firmware problem.
>>
>> In another (very large scale, high end) setup, many different 60 slots
>> 5 LSI expanders chassis had a general failure of the 5th drawer.
>> Another LSI SAS-2 expander firmware problem.
>>
>> I could start a rant about the evil of proprietary firmware, etc. You
>> get my meaning :)
>>

> Yeah, this is a good example why we're trying to get the LEDs working with
> direct attach (non-expander) backplanes :)
>
> -- Pasi

I don't have anything useful for people, other than that they have
shown me an HBA firmware that fixes the LED problem but has other
problems they're still debugging.

So there does exist code for this firmware which will fix this problem.

[I don't disagree on the evils of proprietary firmware, but this is
the hand I've been dealt, so.]

- Rich