Re: SPDX tag question

Jason,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 04:15:08PM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
>>    Hi Jason,
>
>>    I've discussed it with my legal contacts, and it does sound like
>>    the best path forward at this time is to come up with a new SPDX
>>    id for this variant, given its pervasive nature.  I'll put a
>>    request in to the SPDX legal group for a new identifier, and we
>>    can shift the conversation over to there for now.
>
> Okay. Thank you. Doug and I will wait to hear back from you before
> allowing any more SPDX tags for this license text in the subsystem.
>
> Please let me know if any more information is required, I may be able
> to dig up more information if required to do so.
>
>>    It will probably take a month or so to work through their meetings,
>>    but that is going to be less problematic than the other option
>>    for cleaning this up.  Thanks for the detailed background, it
>>    helped.  Kate
>
> When requesting a tag can some text be added to the notes in the SPDX
> database alerting the reader to check the license carefully as there
> are many things claiming to be this license?
>
> For instance in the kernel these four files:
>
>  arch/arm/crypto/crct10dif-ce-core.S
>  arch/arm64/crypto/crct10dif-ce-core.S
>  arch/x86/crypto/aesni-intel_avx-x86_64.S
>  arch/x86/crypto/crct10dif-pcl-asm_64.S
>
> Claim to be the OpenIB.org BSD license, but Intel has modified it in a
> way I've never seen before.
>
> And in user space we see this version claiming to be the "OpenIB.org
> BSD license"
>
>   https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core/blob/master/COPYING.BSD_FB
>
> That one already matches the SPDX BSD-2-CLAUSE though.
>
> Given this, I expect there are others too.

First I want to apologize because this is a major #FAIL on my side and
to make me feel less guilty that's also a fail on the part of the
other licenses scanners we used: these were also treated by Fossology
and the WR scanner as BSD-Clause FWIW, but that's a weak excuse!

I very clearly recall stumbling on these variants of the "simplified"
BSD last year. And I ended up treating them as regular BSD-2-Clause
ignoring the variations in the warranty disclaimers.

This was based on reports of quirks by Thomas and team ... and I
pushed the commits to treat these as plain BSD-2-Clause some 11 months
and a few scores ago in two commits [1] [2]  to scancode-toolkit. I should
have known better as Thomas's reports always are laser focused.

Here is what I am doing to clear up this mini mess (and will report
here by tomorrow):

1. I collected all the kernel files that have this OpenIB licenses in 4.16rc4
grep -r linux-4.16-rc4 -e "OpenIB.org" -l

2. I am also adding the openfabric code from master [3] and that from rdma [4]

I am scanning, diffing and reviewing all these in details to properly
identify all the variants of these puppies.

Then I will:

1. update scancode so that these variants are detected correctly and
not mixed up with a BSD-2-Clause

2. work with Kate and SPDX so we can get these a new SPDX id. I/we
will push to fasttrack this.

Then we can work out proper kernel patches.

[1] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit/commit/83cebdf2dc00c0f211c84d27047a1c8b937f508e
[2] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit/commit/a88bc8d8b598b2378d0729b5e568e4d73ab89e52
[3] https://github.com/ofiwg/libfabric
[4] https://github.com/linux-rdma/rdma-core/