Re: SPDX tag question

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 12:06:36PM -0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 10:55:28AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Hi Greg & Co,
> >
> > A question has come up in the infiniband/rdma space about what SPDX
> > license headers to use for some of our files.
>
> Which is a huge hint you should probably make it a lot simpler :)

This license text was written in around 2005 and has been copied into
around 659 files in the kernel. It looks like there are > 15 companies
listed as copyright holders, some now defunct.

Doug and I are just maintaining a subsystem where this license is
particularly popular and we'd like to ensure we are following the SPDX
rules correctly considering we have inherited this odd license text.

I'm not sure what power you think Doug and I have to "make it a lot
simpler"? Is there something we can do so long after the fact?

> > The license in this file does not have the same 'disclaimer' text as
> > the reference BSD-2-Clause, which sounds like it shouldn't match based
> > on guideline 2.1.1 ?
>
> Then please tell me what exact license that file is trying to express,
> as it really looks like BSD-2-Clause to me.  What were you intending to
> state here, something other than BSD-2?  It better have not been a
> "custom" one :)

I'm pretty confident the intent was to use a "GPLv2 and BSD dual
license" scheme. Beyond that, I don't know what motivated selecting
the warranty clause from the MIT license. It was so long ago nobody
seems to know anymore.

I don't want to embark on some relicensing quest 12 years after the
fact just to use SPDX.. I thought the point of SPDX was to document
the current licensing situation accurately?

> > Alternatively, we can keep using the BSD-2-Clause tag if it was
> > determined that is correct for some reason?
>
> It really looks like this is BSD-2 to me, if not, please specify the
> exact license in the SPDX line.

Well, this is why I am writing to you. To ask if BSD-2-Clause is the
right tag for the license example in include/uapi/rdma/ib_user_sa.h
(which is copied into around 659 kernel files)

If you ignore the preamble and start at "Redistribution" then:

 The first 50% of the license text matches the sample license of SPDX
 BSD-2-Clause, up until "THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED".

 The final paragraph matches the sample license of the SPDX for MIT.

I've grepped through the SPDX database and no SPDX tag includes this
combination of 2 clauses and warranty text together.

My reading of the matching rules is that this is a 'no match' to
BSD-2-Clause.

If you say it is BSD-2-Clause then we will keep using that and move
on.

If you agree it doesn't match then I will request a new tag and use
that instead.

Thanks,
Jason