Re: [rdma-next 01/33] Revert "IB/core: Add flow control to the portmapper netlink calls"

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 04:51:01PM +0000, Bart Van Assche wrote:

> Although I do not object against the "RDMA/core: Add wait/retry version
> of ibnl_unicast" patch, I hope that you realize that it is an ugly hack
> instead of a proper fix. Anything that makes user space wait longer than
> the socket timeout, e.g. heavy swapping activity or running the user
> space software under a debugger, will cause delivery of the netlink
> message from kernel to user to fail anyway.

Yes, I assume the iwpm people are aware of this as well, this is why I
used the phrase 'minimize loss'.

I'm not sure I'd call it a hack though. There is no proper fix here,
messages from kernel to user space must be delivered and processed for
iwpm to function as designed. Maximizing the chance of delivering
unsolicited messages via blocking netlink_unicast is going to be a
necessary component of any design...

The big point in all of this discussion is that none of this allows
iwpmd to ignore lost messages and it needs to have a sane well thought
out process for resynchronizing with the kernel. Particularly, the
flow that causes sockets to closed must have some kind of resync.

But even if all that loss resynchronization works perfectly, it is
still very desirable to avoid triggering it!

Jason