Re: [rdma-next 01/33] Revert "IB/core: Add flow control to the portmapper netlink calls"

On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 11:08 -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 04:51:01PM +0000, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>
> > Although I do not object against the "RDMA/core: Add wait/retry version
> > of ibnl_unicast" patch, I hope that you realize that it is an ugly hack
> > instead of a proper fix. Anything that makes user space wait longer than
> > the socket timeout, e.g. heavy swapping activity or running the user
> > space software under a debugger, will cause delivery of the netlink
> > message from kernel to user to fail anyway.
>
> Yes, I assume the iwpm people are aware of this as well, this is why I
> used the phrase 'minimize loss'.
>
> I'm not sure I'd call it a hack though. There is no proper fix here,
> messages from kernel to user space must be delivered and processed for
> iwpm to function as designed. Maximizing the chance of delivering
> unsolicited messages via blocking netlink_unicast is going to be a
> necessary component of any design...
>
> The big point in all of this discussion is that none of this allows
> iwpmd to ignore lost messages and it needs to have a sane well thought
> out process for resynchronizing with the kernel. Particularly, the
> flow that causes sockets to closed must have some kind of resync.
>
> But even if all that loss resynchronization works perfectly, it is
> still very desirable to avoid triggering it!

Hello Jason,

Because it is not possible to make the current iwpm netlink code work 100%
reliably, my proposal is to add a new and redesigned interface for iwpm
communication between user space and kernel and to deprecate the current API.

Bart.--