[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

> >>What does your going quiet mean?  You have had some good feedback so I
> >>much prefer we reach some sort of understanding.  If your final
> >>statement is that PowerOP is not needed and you are never going to
> >>like
> >>it or ACK It, let us know.  We can agree to disagree.
> >
> >You got the interfaces wrong. While I believe that something like
> >powerop can indeed be useful for system-on-chip platforms, I do not
> >think it should be exposed outside of kernel.
>

> Ok.  I don't think its wrong because its designed from understanding
> the requirements of pm software for embedded mobile devices.   I
>think
> the embedded folk all agree that the type of interface submitted is
> required.  I don't understand why you think its wrong.  Just to be

So you'll have to do lots of explaining. On lkml.

> clear, your previous email made it very clear you don't like the
> userspace interface but this email says interfaces generically.

I meant user<->kernel interface.

> assuming your only objection at this point is the userspace interface.
>  We are more than willing to work this out.  The current sysfs
> interface is surrounded by ifdefs and is optional.  If there is no
> exposure to userspace, then testing/debuging will be more difficult.

Having interface surrounded by #ifdefs is evil. You can test it
separately, then just remove that code before submission. Or maybe
move it to debugfs.

> Greg, Pavel, Dominik, Dave J and Dave B,
>
> I would like to get a plan in place for acceptance with the power
> management guys before we move this to lkml.

Documentation/SubmittingPatches says:
#5) Select your CC (e-mail carbon copy) list.
#
#Unless you have a reason NOT to do so, CC
#linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org.

and sorry, but I insist on using proper procedure here. And no, "we
are afraid of being flamed" is not good enough reason not to.
								Pavel