[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

On Mon 2006-09-11 12:53:27, Matthew Locke wrote:

> >>My patch set presents two different interfaces built on top of
> >>PowerOP -
> >>cpufreq and sysfs interfaces. So _no_, PowerOP is not all about
> >
> >Okay, drop sysfs interface, and we may have something that can be
> >reviewed.
>
> Sysfs is a separate patch that can rejected.  Nothing is stopping
> people from reviewing.

If you submit patch series with one bad patch, you are very unlikely
to get feedback for the good patches.

> >Actually that's good idea. Submit powerop without doing _any_ kernel
> >interface changes, so we can see that it makes sense...
>
> Just to be clear this is the approach we did and are doing.

That's not what I remember. Please resubmit, then. And cc lkml this
time.

> btw, if people on this list are not ready to ACK PowerOP, I would like
> to hear why before we go elsewhere.   It looks like all major issues
> have been addressed by our approach and implementation.

No, I'm not ready to ACK. Actually I'd describe it as "broken piece of
code noone needs". And IIRC Greg's last question was "what is it good
for?". Dave Jones was not too pleased with cpufreq/powerop
integration. Intel people explained you broke centrino
speedstep. Shall I continue?

								Pavel