Re: C3600, sata controller

Hi Carlo,

On 17.05.19 17:43, Carlo Pisani wrote:
> guys, new tests(1) with SYBA-SY-PCX40009 on C3600
> tested on different slots: it always fails with the same behavior
> (1) http://www.downthebunker.com/reloaded/space/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=337&p=1663
>
> I really do not understand the random failure, because it seems
> working for a while, and then, it suddenly fails I don't know how to
> investigate.

Random failure could happen because of missing calls to DMA syncs in the driver.
PCI device drivers on PA-RISC require that you strictly follow the rules as mentioned in:
* https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/DMA-API-HOWTO.txt
and
* https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/DMA-API.txt

Not following those rules may lead to the same device driver working on x86
but failing on parisc, simply because x86 is much more relaxed regarding DMA
and CPU caches.

That said, I would not expect every device driver to work out of the box
on parisc...

Helge