Re: C3600, sata controller

On 2019-05-14 4:15 a.m., Carlo Pisani wrote:
> I am surprised that a PCI-X chip isn't able to switch into PCI64 mode.
> Cards are usually declared "backward compatible", and it would be just
> a matter of "how" to handle the finite state machine that drives the
> PCI, plus the onboard PLL and synchronization.
I agree but it appears fallback requires BIOS or a QUIRK to configure card.  One would have to
look at driver and/or BIOS to see what is/can done. Maybe OpenBIOS has something.

There is ENABLE_HARDFAIL config option in lba_pci.c which determines whether HPMC occurs.
Soft fail might be useful to debug.  However, I doubt there's enough public information to configure
card given what Alan said.

>> Here are some Adaptec 64-bit cards that I found.
>> https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sata/aar-2410sa/
>> https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sata/aar-21610sa/
> as written here (1), we have already tested Adaptec 2410SA, and I have
> also recently received an email by AlanCox confirming that the card is
> x86-only!
>
>         Subsystem: Adaptec AAR-2410SA PCI SATA 4ch (Jaguar II)
>
> It fails on every non-x86 machine because it relies on PC-BIOS
> extension for the initialization of the onboard Intel i960 chip, and
> we do not have any Linux kernel driver able to do what the PC-BIOS
> does.
I had listed these cards because they are PCI64 and the Adaptec site didn't say Intel
architecture was required.  There was one card that claimed to be PCI-X and PCI64
(both 3.3 and 5V signalling) but it required Intel or AMD architecture.

Dave

--
John David Anglin  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx