Re: C3600, sata controller

> "In PCI, a transaction that cannot be completed immediately

I think this *is* the only reason for failure, and it's compatible
with what I observe. The failure usually happens only when moving big
files.

one day ago, on a second C3600 (yes, we have two workstations), we
spent 10 hours at moving small files (<10Mbyte) on a "SY-PCX40009"
"Silicon Image Sil3124" SIL24 card, with a sleep of 2 seconds between
each copy, and we registered zero failures.

Whereas, when copying a file bigger than 8Gbyte files we had a
probability of 0.97 to end with a PCI error on the bus, and repeating
the test, this usually happened within 10 minutes.

results were the same if the card was plugged in PCI_SLOT2 (3.3V), or
PCI_SLOT1 (5V): all the same behavior!

what do I conclude? the voltage of signals is OK, the onboard
voltage-level-shifter was doing a good job, so I think that it all a
timing problem: the less an I/O task takes the PCI bus busy, the best
it is.

maybe, interrupt problem? some got lost? how to investigate the exact
reason for the failure?
did a PCI transaction fail when recycled? or did it fail due to interrupt lost?

The MSI stuff is too complex and I haven't understood it, the wiki
seems confusing to me, and we do not have it enabled in the kernel
config.

anyway, if it's a firmware problem, all related to the firmware
running the SATA card, it may be fixed by a kernel driver forcing the
chip into PCI64 mode.

I am surprised that a PCI-X chip isn't able to switch into PCI64 mode.
Cards are usually declared "backward compatible", and it would be just
a matter of "how" to handle the finite state machine that drives the
PCI, plus the onboard PLL and synchronization.

> Here are some Adaptec 64-bit cards that I found.
> https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sata/aar-2410sa/
> https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sata/aar-21610sa/

as written here (1), we have already tested Adaptec 2410SA, and I have
also recently received an email by AlanCox confirming that the card is
x86-only!

        Subsystem: Adaptec AAR-2410SA PCI SATA 4ch (Jaguar II)

It fails on every non-x86 machine because it relies on PC-BIOS
extension for the initialization of the onboard Intel i960 chip, and
we do not have any Linux kernel driver able to do what the PC-BIOS
does.

I had opened a BUG report to a Linux mailing list, and Alan Cox
replied to me privately.