Re: parisc-linux.org losing hw hosting after this month

On 9 nov. 2013, at 22:31, Helge Deller <deller@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Thibaut,
>
> On 11/09/2013 10:26 PM, Thibaut Varène wrote:
>>> Just as a side-note: Could we let it run as-is as long as possible?
>>> At least until the A500 is really turned off?
>>
>> My plan is to setup new DNSes with the current situation to start
>> with, and have Matt register them as zone DNS. That’ll be transparent
>> for everyone, situation unchanged, until the A500 is powered off, at
>> which point we can devise a new setup. As I told you, my primary
>> concern is with email, so I’ll have that covered :)
>
> That's good!

Quick update: the DNS transition is done, I now control the domain's DNS. As usual, direct complaints to /dev/null if anything breaks ;-)

That aside, regarding my upcoming plans: I'm fine with hosting following websites:
- www (as far as the main static website is concerned - NO HOMEDIRs - since I already host a mirror, it's really easy)
- wiki (already hosted by me, no change)
- ftp (web access only, provided the debian-ports part of the archive doesn't grow much beyond 20G, and for as short a period of time as can be achieved.)

hwdb will have to go, I just cba moving it and dealing with potential PHP exploits ;P
cvs will have to go too, if someone wants to archive it for posterity (it's about 8.4G), now would be a good time.

Regarding email, my plan is to setup a "forward-only" MTA. As far as I can tell, most active users of p-l.o already have a .forward setup, with the notable exception of willy (explicitly CC'd here). Of course, if someone wants to step up and handle p-l.o email on their own, they're welcome to raise a hand ;)

NB: the people having bits of importance left in their homedir on p-l.o should probably think about backing them up ASAP, these won't be moved over.

Since the domain expires on August 2014, I believe this gives us sufficient time to evaluate "what to do next". As far as *I* am concerned, I plan to have transitioned all references to my p-l.o email address (mostly in source code) by then, meaning that *I* will probably not see a need to keep the domain going beyond that point. I would like to explicitly point out here that I commit myself to providing hosting facilities as explained above UNTIL THEN, after which I reserve the right to "move on".

HINT HINT HINT: if someone wants to keep p-l.o going after that point, they'll have to keep that deadline in mind.
I am offering a transition as the A500 is being decommissioned, but I am NOT offering a permanent solution.

Finally, do we have an exact date as to when the A500 will be powered down?

HTH,
T-Bone--