Re: False advertising (was: C8000 cpu upgrade problem)

Le 24 oct. 10 à 05:18, Mikulas Patocka a écrit :
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Thibaut VAR?NE wrote:

James rightfully pointed out that the best way to solve this issue would be to kindly ring a bell within HP and try to work this out on a one-on- one basis, hopefully avoiding calling names. HP has a history of being relatively helpful
with that sort of matters, I'd expect this to turn for the best.

I think that asking employees to do illegal things (or things against
corporate rules) isn't a viable way to go.

I'm not suggesting anything like that.

Once (a long time ago, on a totally different project) I got an offer for some internal code from an employee, who thought that it could improve my open source work. I refused it because I don't want to get into unneeded
trouble. If I accepted it, I'd have to be careful to not ever disclose
implicitly or explicitly that I saw the code.

WTH? Clearly accessing HP's intellectual property and asking for a one- time unique unlock password for phased out hardware are two very different things, I'm sure you can undertand that.

FWIW, rereading your emails, it looks like your CPU model doesn't indeed support dual-processor configuration. Try asking for help on HP's support forums. Competent people are generally around and might be able to answer your questions.

Regarding speed upgrade, I don't know whether your machine would be locked down or not. On server systems, changing CPUs for faster ones generally requires Model Name change (and thus entering MFG mode, etc), but as JDA pointed out, this may not be the case for workstations.

--
Thibaut VARÈNE
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~varenet/