Re: False advertising (was: C8000 cpu upgrade problem)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Thibaut VAR?NE wrote:

> Disclaimer: IANAL and I don't know C8000.
>
> I suppose we can't put the procedure about how to to do that on the website
> for two reasons:
>
> 1) if my assumptions are right, enabling the extra CPU requires entering
> Manufacturing Mode (MFG in PDC parlance) in order to change the Model String
> (suppositions based on previous experience with a different machine), which
> itself needs a hardware-specific password, generated with an HP tool using the
> crypto challenge prompted by the firmware when trying to activate this mode
> (been there on another machine).
> 2) it would most likely be illegal (and a liability) to either disclose the
> means to circumvent HP's upgrading policy or to provide the HP-internal tools
> to do so, if ever we had them (which we do not). Even more so since our
> website is hosted @HP.
>
> James rightfully pointed out that the best way to solve this issue would be to
> kindly ring a bell within HP and try to work this out on a one-on-one basis,
> hopefully avoiding calling names. HP has a history of being relatively helpful
> with that sort of matters, I'd expect this to turn for the best.

I think that asking employees to do illegal things (or things against
corporate rules) isn't a viable way to go.

Once (a long time ago, on a totally different project) I got an offer for
some internal code from an employee, who thought that it could improve my
open source work. I refused it because I don't want to get into unneeded
trouble. If I accepted it, I'd have to be careful to not ever disclose
implicitly or explicitly that I saw the code.

Mikulas