Re: False advertising (was: C8000 cpu upgrade problem)

Le 23 oct. 10 à 19:14, Matt Turner a écrit :

Poor HP.

Seriously though. From a glance, the C8000 seems to be the most
capable PA-RISC system for someone who wants to help with
Linux-on-PARISC. Clearly, people like upgrading (and being able to
upgrade) their computers. If I were to buy a C8000 I'd be interested
in figuring out how to find a second CPU, add more RAM, and install
another PCI card. But these debilitating restrictions prevent any of
this.

So, my question is, if you and Carlos knew about this previously
(which I assume you did by your responses, but I may be wrong) then
why can I not find this information anywhere on parisc-linux.org or in
the appropriate mailing list archives?

Disclaimer: IANAL and I don't know C8000.

I suppose we can't put the procedure about how to to do that on the website for two reasons:

1) if my assumptions are right, enabling the extra CPU requires entering Manufacturing Mode (MFG in PDC parlance) in order to change the Model String (suppositions based on previous experience with a different machine), which itself needs a hardware-specific password, generated with an HP tool using the crypto challenge prompted by the firmware when trying to activate this mode (been there on another machine). 2) it would most likely be illegal (and a liability) to either disclose the means to circumvent HP's upgrading policy or to provide the HP-internal tools to do so, if ever we had them (which we do not). Even more so since our website is hosted @HP.

James rightfully pointed out that the best way to solve this issue would be to kindly ring a bell within HP and try to work this out on a one-on-one basis, hopefully avoiding calling names. HP has a history of being relatively helpful with that sort of matters, I'd expect this to turn for the best.

HTH

T-Bone--