False advertising (was: C8000 cpu upgrade problem)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Mikulas Patocka
> <mikulas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> >> AFAIK you can't add a second CPU without an HP technician enabling the
> >> firmware for a second CPU.
> >>
> >> The same goes for enabling additional PCI slots.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Carlos.
> >
> > And is there some hack that enables it?
> >
> > It looks quite dishonest to me when the machine is advertised as capable
> > of two dual-core CPUs, 32GB RAM, 4 PCI-X slots ... and you get this
> > advertised capability only if you buy expensive support contract :-(
>
> I know of no hack.
>
> It is not dishonest, the original purchase contract for the machine
> probably said "1 active CPU slot" and "1 active PCI-X slot."
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos.

It looks like false advertising to me. It is immoral (and in many
countries illegal) to advertise the product having some capabilities and
then selling the product not having the capabilities. Purchase contract is
irelevant, what is relevant are the public statements about the product
and the real status of the product.

HP claims that c8000 workstation is extendible to two processors. Such
claims are implicit (feature lists, listing up to two dual core 1.1GHz
processors) and explicit (citing
http://www.hp.com/workstations/white_papers/docs/hp_workstation_c8000_po.pdf
"Robust expansion capabilities, including two processor sockets and four
disk bays, let you grow and configure the system as needed").

HP sells a computer that it claims to be c8000 and that the user cannot
expand to two processors, contrary to the claims in the whitepaper.

These claims really deceive users, both me and the person who sold me the
CPU were deceived by them.

Anyone living in the US and wanting to file a complain to FTC about these
computers falsely advertised as expandable? :)

Mikulas