Re: C8000 cpu upgrade problem

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Carlos O'Donell
<carlos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Mikulas Patocka
> <mikulas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>> AFAIK you can't add a second CPU without an HP technician enabling the
>>> firmware for a second CPU.
>>>
>>> The same goes for enabling additional PCI slots.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Carlos.
>>
>> And is there some hack that enables it?
>>
>> It looks quite dishonest to me when the machine is advertised as capable
>> of two dual-core CPUs, 32GB RAM, 4 PCI-X slots ... and you get this
>> advertised capability only if you buy expensive support contract :-(
>
> I know of no hack.
>
> It is not dishonest, the original purchase contract for the machine
> probably said "1 active CPU slot" and "1 active PCI-X slot."
>
> Cheers,
> Carlos.

It _is_ dishonest, and deceptive at that. When was the last time you
bought a multisocket system and couldn't add a second processor
because you needed a support contract? I've never encountered such a
thing and I've got multisocket x86, Alpha, and SPARC systems.

This whole license-to-use-hardware thing is bullshit. Mikulas bought
the hardware, and thus he should be able to use it. I'm struggling to
find any information about this problem online. I can't even find
anyone else who has reported that adding a second CPU doesn't just
work.

Are we absolutely sure you've got to jump through some licensing
bullshit to enable the CPU? Maybe it's just a missed setting in PDC?

> The same goes for enabling additional PCI slots.

You've got to be kidding me.

I'd been planning to grab a cheap C8000 and help Linux/PARISC. But no.
I'll never use hardware like this on principle.

Matt