Re: False advertising (was: C8000 cpu upgrade problem)

> > James, what kind of firmware update is needed?
>
> I have no idea ... I'm only deducing this from what had to be done to
> ion to make it a 4-way.  We had similar upgrades to some of the A180s as
> well.  It is unusual for a workstation class system, but the "too many
> CPUs" message seems definitive.  Perhaps the firmware is essentially the
> same as a server class and it's inheriting this behaviour.

I agree the message appears definitive, but my impression from searching
the internet and the technical reference is that the c8000 doesn't require
firmware upgrades like the servers to add a processor module.

I see that various suppliers are selling processor upgrade modules
(AB630A : 900 MHz 32 MB L2) for c8000.  There are warnings that speed
and cache must match.  Some c8000s were sold without L2 cache, but
I don't see any processor modules without cache for sale.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)