RE: AM335x: Beaglebone stops to boot with current git kernel

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 23:49:36, Kevin Hilman wrote:

> >> Setting these flags would still leave the problem where JTAG clocks
> >> are on when its not required no? In that case, what is the advantage
> >> of this patch?
> >>

> > I missed to wrap it around #ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL. I will submit the
> > formal patch shortly.
>
> IMO, this should not be handled in the data at all (neither clock nor
> hwmod), and should be handled at runtime/boot-time, not compile time.

Wouldn't that become another interface/control for debug? We already have
various (standard) debug kernel parameters available.

But I see your point, compile-time option will force users to rebuild kernel
just in order to disable JTAG/Debug clock.

> The solution to this is to rather to have a small bit of code that
> requests the debugss clocks that are needed for JTAG debug, so the
> kernel knows they are in use.
>
> That code could then be enabled at boot time via command-line or DT
> option.

In case of command-line, something like below???

static int __init omap2_debug_clk_enable(char *str)
{
	if (!str)
		return 0;

	if (!strcmp(str, "debug"))
		<enable debug clock>

	return 0;
}
early_param("debug", omap2_debug_clk_enable);

In case of DT, one thought,

It can be part of omap_generic_init() in board-generic.c file,
We can parse there for debug node and required property to enable debug
module.

Any thought? Or Other options???

Thanks,
Vaibhav